Teenage joyrider killed in A66 crash posted TikTok videos of high-speed police chases
A teenage joyrider who died in the A66 crash that killed seven people, including two armed police officers, had posted TikTok videos of his high-speed police chases.
A teenage joyrider killed in the A66 crash that claimed the lives of seven people, including two police officers, had posted TikTok videos of his high-speed police chases. The collision happened in the early hours of Saturday when a marked police car collided with a Volkswagen Passat travelling the wrong way along the A66 near Middlesbrough in North Yorkshire.
Cleveland Police confirmed that two serving officers in the marked vehicle and five members of the public travelling in the Passat were pronounced dead at the scene at 3.39am. The two officers have been named as Police Constable Matthew Blades, 37, and Police Constable Tom Clough, 38. Tributes have been paid to the pair, described as brave and dedicated officers.
The teenage driver of the Passat had previously shared footage on TikTok showing himself fleeing from police at high speed, with rap music playing over the videos. The clips, which have since been removed from the platform, showed the driver boasting about evading capture during pursuits. The teenager was among the five members of the public who died in the collision.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has launched an inquiry into the collision. The watchdog will examine the circumstances leading up to the crash, including the decision to pursue the Passat and the manner in which the pursuit was conducted. A spokesperson for the IOPC confirmed that investigators are gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses.
The A66 was closed for several hours following the incident while emergency services worked at the scene and collision investigators carried out their examination. The road, a major route connecting the North East and Cumbria, has been the subject of repeated safety concerns, with local campaigners calling for improvements to its layout and lighting.
Police and Crime Commissioner for Cleveland, Matt Storey, said the force was in mourning following the loss of two of its officers. He described the incident as a tragedy that had shaken the local community. The families of the officers have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers.
Local MP Anna Turley said the community was devastated by the loss of life and paid tribute to the emergency services who responded to the scene. She said the crash would have a lasting impact on everyone involved and called for a full investigation into the circumstances.
The incident has reignited debate about the dangers of reckless driving and the sharing of such behaviour on social media platforms. Road safety campaigners have pointed to the case as an example of how online content can encourage dangerous driving among young people. The TikTok videos posted by the teenager showed a pattern of behaviour that police had been aware of prior to the fatal crash.
Police have urged anyone with information about the incident or the events leading up to it to come forward. They have also asked members of the public not to speculate about the circumstances while the investigation is ongoing. The IOPC inquiry is expected to take several months to complete.
